Java is a general purpose computing programming language, and it is concurrent, class-based, and object-oriented. But nowadays, the Java is blamed about its security vulnerabilities. Because of that most of the users try to disable or completely uninstall the Java.
Although, many applications and web pages are available that require users to run the Java programs. It becomes to make a necessity to save your system from the Java security threats.
How to Use Java securely on Windows 10
In case if you are using Java on your system, then you need to follow certain best tips to save your computer system because it is a necessity for your system.
In this article, we will discuss for some effective tips to use Java securely on the Windows systems.
Tip-1 Enable the latest Java version
We will suggest enabling and using the latest version of Java to block the security threats on your computer. These threats can be created because of unexpected behaviors in the system. In this case, you need to enable the latest Java version. It will provide you the benefit of the latest security patches and enhancements.
You can follow the bbelow-givensteps to enable the latest Java version
- Move to Start and open the Control Panel.
- Go to the Control Panel, hit on Java icon to open the Java Control Panel.
- Then move to Java tab and open the Java Runtime Environment settings.
- Click on View button.
- Check the Enabled option to get the latest version of Java and apply the setting changes by clicking on OK button.
- Press the OK button in the Java Control Panel to verify the changes.
- Run the Java software embedded in a web browser to verify if you have installed the latest version of Java in your computer.
Tip-2 Set the security level within the Java Control Panel
Some of the time it is also possible an untrusted Java program from the unknown publisher is included in the webpage. So, when you open these web pages, the infected Java will automatically run on your system.
Before running these untrusted Java applications or completely block that application you need to set the security levels such as- Medium or High or Very High within the Java Control Panel. If you have selected the Very High-security level for the application, then only Java application will be certified from a trusted authority. The trusted authority will be allowed to run only when the revocation status of the certificate is verified.
If you have selected the High Level of security for an application, then Java application certified from a trusted authority. It will be allowed to run even if the revocation status of the certificate is not verified.
If you have selected the medium level of security for an application, then your system is highly vulnerable to security dangers. This option will be only able to prevent the unauthorized application. If you are trying to set the security level for an app the below-given step will help you:-
- Navigate to the Start button and open the Control Panel.
- Go to the Control Panel, click on the Java icon to open the Java Control Panel.
- Move to Security tab and click on the radio button to choose the desired security level.
- Then click on Ok to see the changes.
Tip-3 Check Security prompts before running the Java application on Browser
A security message will show the risk factors on your screen when you will run any Java program on your system. It will ask for a confirmation before launching them on a browser.
For example, Java will show you a images such as- Java or publishers logo and Blue information shield will show the lower security risk, whereas, the Java prompt with images like yellow warning triangle and yellow warning shield then it will show a higher security risk.
So we will suggest you not to run the Java application which is prompted from the high-security risk.
If you are using the Java application with a verified from the trusted authority then you will need to verify some of the information such as- Name, Publisher, and location on the dialog box, and, if your information will wrong, users should click on the Cancel button to block any type of security vulnerabilities.
Tip-4 Restore the security prompts periodically
Java users are also providing an amazing option to hide the prompts, but to make a secure environment; you need to restore those hidden prompts time-to-time.
It will help you to review the applets and make an informed and safe decision that you can use this app or not.
If you restore the security message, then it will help you to make sure that the security prompt is displayed as soon as users open the application.
If you are trying to restore the previously hidden security prompts, then the below-given steps will help you:-
- Move to Start button in the taskbar and open the Control Panel.
- Go to the Control Panel, click on the Java icon to open Java Control Panel.
- Move to Security tab and click on the Restore Security prompts.
- Hit on Restore All button in the confirmation window.
Tip-5 Enable automatic Java Updates
You need to enable all of the Java Updates. It is basically necessary to keep your system up to date with the updated versions of Java.
By following below mentioned steps, you can easily check for Updates.
- Navigate to the Start button in the taskbar and open the Control Panel.
- Go to the Control Panel and click on the Java icon to open Java Control Panel.
- Move to Update and enable the option with Check for Updates Automatically.
- In the last click on OK button to see changes.