Apple keeps releasing the new versions of Mac with new features frequently. The Apple enthusiasts cannot resist themselves from buying the new Mac products. Are you planning to sell your Mac system to buy the latest version of it? Well, before selling your Mac you should Reset it to factory settings and leave no data of yours in the system so that the new owner cannot access it.
Here is this guide providing the proper steps to reset the Mac so that you can sell it and buy the new version of Mac. Just follow the guide so that you can remove every data from your Mac and reset it to factory settings.
Here’s how to reset your Mac system
Create Backup of your Mac
While planning to reset any device, it is always recommended to create a backup of the device. A backup keeps all the files and data of Mac which can be used anywhere anytime in any Mac system. So before resetting the Mac, let’s create the backup of data stored in your system.
- Connect an external hard drive to the system.
- Go to System Preferences and turn on Time Machine.
- Click on the Select Disk tab. Now you will be asked to select the drive to use the Time Machine.
- Time Machine will prompt you to use the disk as a backup location.
- Select to encrypt the backup with a password.
- If the drive is not formatted, then Time Machine will prompt you to format the backup.
- Click the Options button to exclude volumes from backups.
- Now, the Time Machine will automatically create the backup in regular time.
Deauthorize This Computer
Up to 5 computers are authorized to run the content of your Mac. Thus, selecting Deauthorize, This Computer will disconnect the link with iTunes account.
- Open iTunes on your Mac.
- Click on Account option present in the menu bar.
- Go to Authorize and select Deauthorize This Computer.
- Now, enter your Apple ID and password.
- Finally, select Deauthorize.
Turn Off FileVault
Disable the security feature, FileVault responsible for encrypting data on the disk from unauthorized access.
- Click to open Apple menu and select System Preferences from the menu.
- Select Security & Privacy tab.
- Click the FileVault tab from the upper bar.
- Now, select the Click the lock to prevent further changes.
- Enter the login credentials of the administrator.
- Click to turn off the FileVault.
Sign out from everything
If you have planned to sell your Mac, then you must sign out of the services like iTunes, iCloud in order to avoid the complication with the new owner downloading the software which was licensed by you.
- Signing out of iTunes
- Open iTunes and click Account from the Menu bar.
- Select to Sign out.
- Signing out of iMessages
- Open the Messages in your system.
- Now, go to the Menu bar in the top left corner and click Messages.
- Select the Preferences option.
- Now select iMessage account and click Sign Out.
- Signing out of iCloud
- Click Apple icon and go to System Preferences.
- Click on iCloud and go to Find My Mac.
- Uncheck the box and enter the system password.
- Click to Sign out and then select remove data from this Mac.
The resetting might take some time to, but the methods are accurate to wipe out all the data from your Mac. But before that, it is a bit of advice to create the backup in order to keep the data safe so that you can restore and access it in your new Mac system.
John Martin is a Microsoft Office expert and has been working in the technical industry since 2002. As a technical expert, Samuel has written technical blogs, manuals, white papers, and reviews for many websites such as office.com/setup.