Mac users sometimes face the problems like the Keyboard light or battery indicator is not working correctly. These problems are the signs of the need to reset SMC on Mac system. SMC may sound a huge problem, but the method to reset the SMC on Mac is uncomplicated. Before that, you should know about SMC and its functions in the system.
SMC is the System Management Controller, which is responsible for various low-level functions. These functions are based on the Intel-based Mac including the hardware of the system. The LED indicators, keyboards, power buttons, battery indicators, cooling fans, etc. are controlled by the SMC. It also works to ensure that Hard Drive keeps functioning.
Here’s how to reset SMC on Mac Systems
Before resetting the SMC on your Mac system, it is essential to determine if the battery is removable or not. The process of resetting SMC is slightly different in Mac with the removable battery from Mac with the non-removable battery. Close all your application and reboot your Mac. Let’s begin the process to reset SMC.
Reset SMC on Mac with Removable Battery
- Shut down your Mac system.
- Disconnect the MagSafe connector.
- Now remove the battery.
- Proceed to press the power button.
- Keep the power button pressed for 5 seconds.
- Now reinstall the battery and reconnect the MagSafe connector.
- Turn on Mac on.
Reset SMC on Mac Non-Removable Battery
- Shut down your Mac and plug in the MagSafe power adapter.
- Now long press the left Shift + Control + Option + Power buttons.
- Keep the keys pressed for 10 seconds.
- Release the keys together and press the power button again.
- Now your Mac will restart.
Resetting the SMC on iMac
- Shut down your iMac system.
- Unplug the power adapter.
- Now, wait for at least 15-20 seconds.
- Plug in the power cord.
- Press the power button and restart your iMac.
Hopefully, you have correctly reset SMC on your Mac. Now, the operating system of your Mac will start working correctly.
John Martin is a Microsoft Office expert and has been working in the technical industry since 2002. As a technical expert, Samuel has written technical blogs, manuals, white papers, and reviews for many websites such as office.com/setup.